Purpose of of Second Level Ministry
Second Level Ministry is a ministry to support Japanese Christian's spiritual growth - the process of becoming a true disciple of Christ. Our vision is to see the multiplication of making disciples of Christ - disciples make new disciples of Christ.
We offer discipleship Bible studies, mentoring, spiritual encouragement, and useful resources including local churches.
We also plan conferences, Bible study trips, seminars and other events for young Christians.
*** This ministry isn't a replacement of the local churches, but rather in order than the church can grow. Our resources, "The 15 Step Lessons" and "Living As A Disciple of Christ" can be used in churches for Bible study. In order that each individual Christian have firm roots in Christ, we focus on discipleship.
Unity by Statement of Faith
Although we come from churches with various circumstances and backgrounds, we work for the above purposes through the advancement of the greater church body, with unity based on the Statement of our faith.
＊＊＊ Statement of Faith Click here.
Values of Second Level Ministry
- In order that each believer become true disciple of Christ who can glorify God, we should seek the way of living and the faith that God desires. By focusing on Christ and being changed to be more like him, we seek true faith by which we can experience God. （John 15:8, Colossians 1:10）
- We should prioritize an attitude of devotion to God's word. Living in truth, without compromising, conveying truth, and not departing from God's word before other people. (John 14:21, 2 Timothy 2:15)
- By putting God's Word and love into practice - rather than just as a theory or method - we serve the Lord to raise true worshipers of Christ. (II Timothy 4:2)
*Discipleship isn't about adhering to one particular form or method; rather, it's about encouraging the imitation of Christ through individual relationships. In other words, to become someone who loves and serves other people by conveying truth. Each person becomes God's unique creation through different encounters with God and different processes of growth. The true meaning of "loving your neighbor" is found in the freedom and healing by God's love, and growth brought about through the Holy Spirit. We value the importance of each person's unique way of spiritual growth.
- We value the multiplication of those who have been saved, through discipleship, become a disciple who can make disciples of Christ.(spiritual multiplication)(II Timothy 2:2）
- In everything, have confidence in the guidance of the Holy Spirit and work to entrust yourself to God's plan. （Philippians 1:6, 2:13, John 17:6-11）
How Second Level Ministry Got Started By Wayne SMith (Founder/Board)
My wife and I started hosting Japanese students for a homestay program in 1996. As we would host I would talk to students who came on the program and were Christians (usually not our student). I talked with them and asked what was the biggest problem or need they had as Japanese Christians. Most of the time they indicated that growing as a Christian was difficult and there was no network of friends to be with and grow as a Christian.
The Lord began to burden my heart to deal with this problem and other needs too. I knew that many young Japanese used the internet so a website to provide lessons and such for Christian growth seemed the way to go. I knew the website would have to be interesting and stimulating. It would need to provide many subjects of interest on the website to accomplish this. But I also knew that activities outside the website would also be necessary. This would include seminars for Christian growth that included fun activities.
As I built the website I relied on God to guide me in the right direction. I knew that I would have to have someone Japanese, guided by the Holy Spirit, to take it over when I had built a basic platform for them. This took much longer than I anticipated; in fact I began to feel like maybe the Lord didn't want the ministry to grow. Mayumi(who is currently serving as a president)’s passion for discipleship and evangelism was an answer to prayer to take the helm of SL.